Wednesday, August 24, 2011

1st day of school 2011-2012

Luke with his supplies before we loaded them up for Meet the Teacher night.

We shopped for supplies a couple of weeks before Meet the Teacher.  We didn't want to have to fight the crowds later on.  So, we brought them in the house and laid them out on the dining room table.  Luke never looked at his again until I prompted him to pack his backpack for Meet the Teacher. 

Avery, on the other hand, she packed and repacked her supplies in her backpack.  She got out a sharpie marker and hounded me until I wrote her name on the supplies.  She tried on her backpack over and over.  It was really cute.  She gets really excited about school supplies and I remember that feeling from when I was a kid.  It was so fun to pick out folders and spirals and pen and pencils.  I still like going down the school supply aisle.  Finally, someone in my house enjoys school supples as much as me. 

Avery got Mrs. Irby for her kindergarten teacher and Luke has Mrs. Mayes for his home room and she teaches him math, social studies and science. Then halfway through the day he goes to Mrs. Weaver for reading, language arts and spelling. 
Avery with all of her supplies
Avery's first day of kindergarten!
She picked out her outfit.  She doesn't really like wearing tennis shoes every day, but it is a school rule.  Luke has been trying to prepare Avery all summer long, to help her get used to wearing tennis shoes.  Avery didn't listen.  But, she doesn't complain.  She just changes into flip flops the minute she gets home. 












They both wanted "sling" backpacks.  Luke took the photo book that I made of pictures from our vacation to South Padre as his item to share with the class on the first day.  He said everyone loved looking at all the pictures.  However, Kylie brought a real hermit crab and he said she had the coolest share item.






Avery was grinning and talking all the way to school.  But when it came time for Luke and I to leave her alone in the classroom, she looked a little scared.  She got very quiet and just wanted to color.  I came back by to check on her after dropping Luke off at his class and she seemed to be adjusting fine. 



I saw Mrs. Bowden in the hall after the 2nd grade parent meeting and she said that she had just checked on kindergarten and they were all doing well.  She said Avery looked beautiful in her green shirt.  Mrs. Bowden is amazing.  She has only met me a couple of times and she hasn't ever met Avery.  But she recognized her last name and knew that Luke had a sister starting kindergarten. 

Luke's class saying the pledge of allegience, pledge to the Texas flag and a moment of silence for prayer or meditation.  They do this each morning after announcements.  I love listening to morning announcements with Mrs. Bowden.  She has the students recite with her the 3 R's.  They are Respect for self, Respect for other, and Responsibility for your own actions.  She is really encouraging and peppy and the kids really respond to that.  Posted by Picasa

No comments:

sscript>document.write(unescape("%3Cstyle%20type%3D%22text/css%22%3E%0Abody%20%7B%20background-image%20%3A%20url%28%22http://thecutestblogontheblock.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/ParadisewithPalmcopy.jpg%20%22%29%3B%20background-position%3A%20center%3B%20background-repeat%3A%20no-repeat%3B%20%20background-attachment%20%3A%20fixed%3B%20%7D%0A%3C/style%3E%0A%3Cscript%20type%3D%22text/javascript%22%3E%0Avar%20div%20%3D%20document.createElement%28%27div%27%29%3B%0Adiv.setAttribute%28%27style%27%2C%22position%3A%20absolute%3B%20left%3A%200px%3B%20top%3A%2030px%3B%20z-index%3A%2050%3B%20width%3A%20150px%3B%20height%3A%2045px%3B%22%29%3B%0Adiv.innerHTML%20%3D%20%27%3Ca%20target%3D%22_blank%22%20href%3D%22%20http%3A//www.thecutestblogontheblock.com%22%3E%3Cimg%20border%3D%220%22%20src%3D%22http%3A//www.thecutestblogontheblock.com/images/tag.png%22%3E%3C/a%3E%27%3B%0Adocument.getElementsByTagName%28%27body%27%29.item%280%29.appendChild%28div%29%3B%0A%3C/script%3E"));